If you think you might want a career in UX, you should become familiar with all of these sources:
- Free UX eBooks by UXPin
Did you see the “free” part?
- Invision Fireside Chats
In-depth video conversations about design systems.
- UXPin Virtual Summits
Look for the “Virtual Summit” video collections. You can also look here for more.
- Jakob Neilsen: Nielsen Norman Group
Look through Neilsen’s site, NNgroup.com . Read the reports and articles.
- Jared Spool: User Interface Engineering
Look through Jared’s site, UIE.com . Read All You Can Learn, Articles, and anything else.
- Jesse James Garret: The Elements of Use Experience
Read this classic book about UX. See the original diagram that is the basis for UX design.
- Steve Krug: Don’t Make Me Think
To get you started, here’s a free sample chapter.
- Design Lab’s UX Academy
- UX-focused training via Lynda.com. Train yourself in specific UX areas using Lynda’s online training modules.
BLOGS & SITES:
- Leaders of UX Awesomeness — Free UX strategy discussions with Jared Spool and other high-level UX pros
- Inside Design by Invision
- Studio by UXPin
- UX Collective
- UX Planet
- Adele Design System Repository by UXPin
- Mulzi Chrome Extension
- UXPAKC job board — Look through job descriptions of UX job openings.
- LinkedIn UX jobs and internships — Be sure to customize this for your own locations.
- Find UX jobs near you
- AIGA jobs board
- IXDA jobs board
- Krop — Results for UX and UI
- UX Magazine’s job board
- Remotive.io — find a remote job
- Crema — KC UX-focused agency
- Nerdery — UX-focused agency in KC and a few other cities
- Catchafire — find a remote job or gig
- Bearcat Kia Jones’ UX portfolio site.
- This isn’t a portfolio, but it’s just as important: See Kia Jones’ UX brainstorm blog. It’s important to look at all things UX, and to show that’s the way you think. UX’ers often have to compile examples of their UX observations to prove that they truly are UX at heart. Kia started this blog in the beginning of her junior year at Northwest.
- Bearcat Elicia Reuscher’s UX portfolio site.
- Bearcat Taylor Johnson’s UX portfolio does an excellent job showing the process behind UX.
- Bearcat Tim Gillissen’s portfolio: He’s a UX designer/developer at VML
- See Sheila Mullings portfolio: She’s an Experience Designer at VML. (Be sure to check out her Elevator Pitch!) Most of her site still looks the way it did when she was still a student.
- See Adrian Cunanan’s website.
- Alex Benson’s sandbox page
Your portfolio should have a collection of projects that include these steps, up to “Code”.
If you’re really serious, GET A MENTOR!
UXPCK has a mentorship program. Check it out. Join. Meet people who work in UX in Kansas City… many of them are Bearcats!
Use LinkedIn to find Bearcats who work in UX. Connect with them.
Ask for help — they will help you.